COVID Certificate is the official app for storing and presenting Swiss COVID certificates. It is developed by the Federal Office of Information Technology, Systems and Telecommunication FOITT on behalf of the Federal Office of Public Health.
In Switzerland, people who have been vaccinated, or who have tested negative or recovered from COVID can apply for a COVID certificate.
COVID certificates are issued in hard copy or electronic format serve as proof of:
1. Vaccination against COVID-19
2. Recovery from Sars-CoV-2 infection
3. A negative result following Sars-CoV-2 test analysis
How the app works
When the app is first launched after installation on the mobile device, a brief introduction provides information on how to use it and how to scan a hard-copy COVID certificate.
In the app, the required COVID certificate can be selected, and presented if desired. The app shows whether, from when and for how long the COVID certificate is valid. All data contained in a certificate's QR code can also be displayed.
It is possible to store several COVID certificates in the app, e.g. for family members, or several COVID test certificates.
Use of the COVID Certificate app is voluntary and free of charge.
Data protection is a top priority
COVID certificate data is stored solely on the mobile device. COVID certificates are protected by a digital seal (signature) and are thus forgery-proof.
COVID certificates are generated by the FOITT, but are not stored in a central system. That is why it is not possible to obtain a copy of an issued certificate.
The use of the app is limited to Switzerland and is subject to Swiss law.
- New checking rules for indicating whether or not an additional test certificate is required in the 2G+ context (time of vaccination < 120 days).
- The self-checking function (refresh button) will in future be replaced by an automatic check. From 17 January 2022, an info button will appear on a transitional basis.
- Further optimisations and bug fixes.